Company: Lexington County Sheriff's Department
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Coordinates daily laboratory operations and performs complex
chemical, physical, microscopic, and instrumental analysis of
physical evidence in criminal investigations. Ensures proper
maintenance and functioning of the Forensic Drug Analysis Lab.
*Essential Duties and Responsibilities*
* Performs chemical, instrumental, wet chemical, and microscopic
analysis of physical evidence; reviews, interprets data and
prepares Laboratory reports summarizing analysis work.
* Maintains inventory; troubleshoots, diagnoses problems and
perform repairs, adjustments, and preventative maintenance on
instruments in the lab as necessary.
* Performs the daily functions necessary for the efficient
laboratory administration and operations, including ensuring
compliance with safety (OSHA standards) and other regulations.
* Advises Sheriff's Department personnel and custodians on adequate
procedures for evidence preservation and chain of custody
* Testifies in court regarding results of analyses.
* Provides security of evidence while in transit.
* Submits analytical reports and laboratory casework reports to
other laboratories for casework peer review; performs peer review
for other laboratories' casework; maintains log of casework
analyzed within the lab, and maintains and updates records of
casework on RMS software system within the Department.
* Communicates with Grants personnel to search for funding for
Laboratory improvements or maintenance; writes the narrative and
itemized expenditure requests for grants.
* Attends workshops, classes, seminars as required to maintain
professional knowledge and skills.
* Reviews literature to keep abreast of new trends and technology
applicable to criminal case evidence analysis.
* Performs other similar duties as required.
*Job Specifications and Qualifications*
* Variety of policies and procedures, laws, regulations and
* Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS);
* Agilent, DEA, and Thermo Fischer instruments;
* Handling of chemicals;
* Microsoft Office;
* Grant writing.
* Applying principles of logical thinking to define problems,
collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
* Learning and understanding relatively complex principles and
* Making independent judgments in absence of supervision;
* Comprehension and interpretation of received information;
* Preparing reports, correspondence and records;
* Communication in a variety of technical and professional
languages including law enforcement, medical, first- aid, legal and
* Time management along with the ability to prioritize tasks in
order to accomplish a set goal;
* Detail oriented work with strong organizational requirements;
* Date recording and delivery;
* Written and verbal communication via in-person, phone and email
* Bachelor's degree, with 3 to 5 years of experience; or an
equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to
successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
Licensing and Certifications:
* Certified Hazardous Materials Technician;
* Valid South Carolina Driver's License.
*Working Conditions / Physical Requirements*
* Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds
of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly
having to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls
requires exertion of forces greater than that for the Sedentary
Work category and the worker sits most of the time, the job is
rated Light Work.
* Positions in this class typically require fingering, talking,
hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, walking, repetitive motions,
stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, climbing, balancing,
pushing, pulling, and lifting. Positions in this class are
typically exposed to moving mechanical parts, odors, dusts, poor
ventilation, chemicals, oils, extreme temperatures, inadequate
lighting, and intense noises.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $53,043.18 - $60,996.66 per year
* Dental insurance
* Employee assistance program
* Flexible spending account
* Health insurance
* Health savings account
* Life insurance
* Paid time off
* Referral program
* Retirement plan
* Vision insurance
* 8 hour shift
* Monday to Friday
* No weekends
Supplemental pay types:
* Signing bonus
Ability to commute/relocate:
* Lexington, SC 29072: Reliably commute or planning to relocate
before starting work (Preferred)
* Bachelor's (Required)
* Laboratory experience: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: Lexington County Sheriff's Department, Columbia , Chemist, Other , Lexington, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!