We're looking for a Design Manager to take on a leadership role
in one of our product zones here at Zapier. Are you excited to
build and run a user-centered product design team in a 100% remote
company? Then keep reading!
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company
requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and
excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at
Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description
that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier.
Hopefully, you'll take the leap and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated
to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You are an experienced design leader. You have at least two
years of experience managing a team and at least seven years of
experience in Product Design. You've hired, developed, and directly
managed three or more Product Designers at varying levels of
experience. You've worked with your teams to define success
metrics, contribute to data-driven roadmaps and track progress
towards solving customer problems. You've led teams through times
of rapid growth and/or organizational change and can share lessons
You put your team's and customer's needs first. You enjoy
helping and enabling designers do great work. You optimize your
design strategy for what helps users best achieve their goals. You
use data and user research to make human-centered design decisions.
You challenge assumptions about what makes a design successful
through encouraging divergent exploration and talking to users.
You love collaboration and feedback. You understand successful
design doesn't happen in a vacuum or in secret. You believe in
sharing work early, openly, and often. You enjoy teaming up with
product managers, engineers, researchers, data scientists, customer
champions, writers, and customers to help make the design team's
work as effective as possible.
You know how design impacts development. You understand the
technical complexities a design might introduce, and you can help
your design team navigate through those challenges. You don't
believe in "tossing designs over the wall" and would dread doing
You are resourceful. You know how to work across functions to
get the help the design team needs to execute on projects. You work
diligently to ensure progress is made across active projects.
Things you might do
- Meet regularly with Product Designers to give and gather
feedback on project progress, career development, work satisfaction
- Establish a shared vision and strategy for your zone across the
company by building consensus on priorities leading to product
- Help guide, improve, and implement design and feedback
- Work cross-functionally with Product and Engineering partners
to represent the design team, and give feedback in planning and
- Hold a weekly design meeting to help the design team execute on
current design priorities
- Build rapport with each member of the design team and work hard
to help them level up their skills
- Advocate for and teach design skills across the organization.
Find ways to involve non-designers in the design process through
design sprints and other creative means.
- Contribute to and help build our design system
- Provide feedback on design solutions through wireframes,
mockups, and interactive prototypes
- Participate in user research and other experiments to inform
- Give, seek, and receive thoughtful design critique
- Actively recruit, onboard and train new product designers at
- As a part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers
have the best possible experience with Zapier
For the past ten years, Zapier has been helping people across
the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do
that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already
use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and
that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower
businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do
what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact
with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble.
Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more
getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All
teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: United States or Canada
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple
laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least
2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per
year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with
great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly
get to interact with people from these great companies
- While we take care of our international folks as best we can,
currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to
How to Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the
process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start
of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to
know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to
answer each question.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we
don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we
strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without
hearing from us.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work
with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color,
gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or
mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon
for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our
differences because those differences are what allow us to make a
product that serves a global user base.