Hospital Armed Security Officer
Company: Allied Universal
Posted on: August 15, 2019
Description: The Security Professional (Armed) is responsible for
providing protective services to the healthcare facility, patients,
visitors, and staff in a courteous, friendly and professional
Scope of Work: The primary responsibility is to deter crime and
provide order and control during the shift within the boundaries of
the assigned post. This Security Professional patrols the facility
or stands a post as instructed and serves as a general security
presence and visible deterrent to crime and client rule
infractions; detects suspicious activities; watches for criminal
acts or client rule infractions at or near assigned post. This
position responds to all incidents as dispatched providing
assistance as needed, protecting personnel and property within
reason and securing the incident scene until properly relieved.
This position conducts initial investigation of incidents, and is
responsible for completing all appropriate reports and forms.
In the event of the commission of a crime or disorder, this person
is responsible for alerting the Shift Supervisor and higher
authorities, responding to the incident and providing assistance as
needed, protecting personnel and property within reason and
securing the incident scene until properly relieved.
This position responds to unusual or emergency situations using the
appropriate escalation of force level up to and including armed
response by following established protocol(s).
* Must be at least 21 years of age
* Education and Experience:
* Meet Allied Universal Security Services hiring qualifications
* Extensive experience in security or law enforcement or equivalent
required. Experience in security in a healthcare facility
preferred. A minimum of 2 years' experience in armed security is
preferred. Military or law enforcement background is preferred.
* Applicants with at least four (4) years military service
(honorable conditions only) will weigh in the favor of applicants
with similar experience.
* Working knowledge of local, state and federal requirements for a
contracted security force in a healthcare environment.
* Working knowledge of applicable accreditation standards and
regulations impacting security programs in a healthcare environment
to include: CMS, TJC, HIPAA, EMTALA, OSHA, and NFPA.
* Ability to analyze problems, determine root causes, and identify
and determine results oriented solutions.
* Good interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and
written), to effectively communicate with patients, patient
families, staff members and executives; and documenting of
* Ability to handle typical and crisis situations efficiently and
* Ability to employ firearms and less lethal weapons to protect
yourself and others.
* Demonstrated ability to safely and responsibly carry, store, and
maintain firearms, less lethal weapons, and other assigned
* Demonstrated ability to gain and maintain appropriate state and
local firearms permits and licenses.
* Demonstrated ability to participate in and pass firearms and less
lethal weapon training and qualification courses without
* Competency Requirements: Armed Security Professionals are
required to pass initial and annual competency evaluations
consisting of the following topics:
* South Carolina SLED Armed Certification
* Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
* Bloodborne Pathogen/Infection Control
* Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)
* Use of Force
* Clinical Restraint Usage
* Use of Handcuffs and less than lethal force options
* Client required courses
* Security Incident Response Procedures
* CPR/Basic First Aid (required every two years)
* Additional Training Requirements: Must successfully complete the
following training courses. An * denotes annual requirements.
* Healthcare Essentials
* Certified Healthcare Security Professional
* Client Orientation
* Security Department Orientation and Training Academy
* Background Check Requirements:
* Must be able to pass a criminal background check to meet Allied
* Must be able to pass a motor vehicle check with not more than
three (3) moving violations within the past year
* Health Screen Requirements: The following health screens must be
completed prior to being assigned to a post. An * denotes annual
* TB Screen *
* Hepatitis B series vaccine or signed declination statement
* N-95 Fit Test *
* Flu Shot *
* 10 panel drug screen
* License and Credential Requirements:
* Ability to achieve and maintain South Carolina SLED licensing
* License to operate a motor vehicle in the state of South Carolina
with less than 3 moving violations within a year.
* Ability to work in a team-oriented environment and work
* Ability to maintain satisfactory attendance and punctuality
* Neat and professional appearance in accordance with set
* Ability to provide quality customer service with a friendly and
* Ability to make decisions and handle situations effectively.
Minimum Physical Requirements:
With or without reasonable accommodation, the physical and mental
requirements of this job may include the following: seeing,
hearing, speaking, and writing clearly; occasional reaching with
hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling.
Frequent sitting, standing and walking, which may be required for
long periods of time, and may involve climbing stairs and walking
up inclines and on uneven terrain; frequent lifting and/or moving
up to 10 pounds and occasional lifting and/or moving up to 25
pounds. In addition:
* Must be able to identify the following colors: red, green, pink
* Must maintain a level of physical and emotional health to cope
with periods of high stress and working hours that may extend
beyond the standard work week.
* Cognitive abilities must be unimpaired to deal with the
intellectual demands of the position.
* Ability to use PPE and adaptive equipment where work requires
protective equipment and close visual and auditory attention to
* Movement around the building will be necessary to monitor
personnel, the condition of facilities and equipment, and response
to emergent situations and events.
* Moderate physical effort required to physically restrain
patients, respond to emergencies on upper floors without the use of
an elevator, assist in patient evacuations, and respond to other
emergency and non-emergency situations.
Allied Universal provides unparalleled service, systems and
solutions to the people and business of our communities, and is
North America's leading security services provider. With over
200,000 employees, Allied Universal delivers high-quality, tailored
solutions, which allows clients to focus on their core business.
For more information: www.AUS.com.
We proudly support the Veteran Jobs Mission, a group of over 200
companies that have committed to collectively hiring a total of one
million military veterans. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability
Allied Universal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer
committed to hiring a diverse workforce.
Keywords: Allied Universal, Columbia , Hospital Armed Security Officer, Healthcare , Columbia, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!