Hospital Armed Security Officer Downtown Columbia, SC
Company: Allied Universal
Posted on: May 19, 2019
Overview We are North America's leading security services provider
with over 160,000 phenomenal employees. For all Full time
positions, we offer medical, dental and vision coverage, life
insurance, 401K, employee assistance programs, company discounts,
perks and more! Approximately 65% of our managers were internally
promoted! You too can start with little, to no security experience
and become one of Employer's many success stories. We have great
part time and flexible schedules! Start your phenomenal career with
Employer today! Job Description Description: The Security
Professional (Armed) is responsible for providing protective
services to the healthcare facility, patients, visitors, and staff
in a courteous, friendly and professional manner. Scope of Work:
The primary responsibility is to deter crime and provide order and
control during the shift within the boundaries of the assigned
post. This Security Professional patrols the facility or stands a
post as instructed and serves as a general security presence and
visible deterrent to crime and client rule infractions; detects
suspicious activities; watches for criminal acts or client rule
infractions at or near assigned post. This position responds to all
incidents as dispatched providing assistance as needed, protecting
personnel and property within reason and securing the incident
scene until properly relieved. This position conducts initial
investigation of incidents, and is responsible for completing all
appropriate reports and forms. In the event of the commission of a
crime or disorder, this person is responsible for alerting the
Shift Supervisor and higher authorities, responding to the incident
and providing assistance as needed, protecting personnel and
property within reason and securing the incident scene until
properly relieved. This position responds to unusual or emergency
situations using the appropriate escalation of force level up to
and including armed response by following established protocol(s).
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Education and Experience:
- Meet Employer Security Services hiring qualifications
- Extensive experience in security or law enforcement or
equivalent required. Experience in security in a healthcare
facility preferred. A minimum of 2 years' experience in armed
security is preferred. Military or law enforcement background is
- Applicants with at least four (4) years military service
(honorable conditions only) will weigh in the favor of applicants
with similar experience.
- Working knowledge of local, state and federal requirements for
a contracted security force in a healthcare environment.
- Working knowledge of applicable accreditation standards and
regulations impacting security programs in a healthcare environment
to include: CMS, TJC, HIPAA, EMTALA, OSHA, and NFPA.
- Ability to analyze problems, determine root causes, and
identify and determine results oriented solutions.
- Good interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and
written), to effectively communicate with patients, patient
families, staff members and executives; and documenting of
- Ability to handle typical and crisis situations efficiently and
- Ability to employ firearms and less lethal weapons to protect
yourself and others.
- Demonstrated ability to safely and responsibly carry, store,
and maintain firearms, less lethal weapons, and other assigned
- Demonstrated ability to gain and maintain appropriate state and
local firearms permits and licenses.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in and pass firearms and
less lethal weapon training and qualification courses without
- Competency Requirements: Armed Security Professionals are
required to pass initial and annual competency evaluations
consisting of the following topics:
- South Carolina SLED Armed Certification
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- Bloodborne Pathogen/Infection Control
- Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)
- Use of Force
- Clinical Restraint Usage
- Use of Handcuffs and less than lethal force options
- Client required courses
- Security Incident Response Procedures
- CPR/Basic First Aid (required every two years)
- Additional Training Requirements: Must successfully complete
the following training courses. An. denotes annual requirements.
- Healthcare Essentials
- Certified Healthcare Security Professional
- Client Orientation
- Security Department Orientation and Training Academy
- Background Check Requirements:
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check to meet
- Must be able to pass a motor vehicle check with no more than
three (3) moving violations within the past year
- Health Screen Requirements: The following health screens must
be completed prior to being assigned to a post. An. denotes annual
- TB Screen.
- Hepatitis B series vaccine or signed declination statement
- N-95 Fit Test.
- Flu Shot.
- 10 panel drug screen
- License and Credential Requirements:
- Ability to achieve and maintain South Carolina SLED licensing
- License to operate a motor vehicle in the state of South
Carolina with less than 3 moving violations within a year.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment and work
- Ability to maintain satisfactory attendance and punctuality
- Neat and professional appearance in accordance with set
- Ability to provide quality customer service with a friendly and
- Ability to make decisions and handle situations effectively.
Minimum Physical Requirements: With or without reasonable
accommodation, the physical and mental requirements of this job may
include the following: seeing, hearing, speaking, and writing
clearly; occasional reaching with hands and arms, stooping,
kneeling, crouching and crawling. Frequent sitting, standing and
walking, which may be required for long periods of time, and may
involve climbing stairs and walking up inclines and on uneven
terrain; frequent lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds and
occasional lifting and/or moving up to 25 pounds. In addition:
- Must be able to identify the following colors: red, green, pink
- Must maintain a level of physical and emotional health to cope
with periods of high stress and working hours that may extend
beyond the standard work week.
- Cognitive abilities must be unimpaired to deal with the
intellectual demands of the position.
- Ability to use PPE and adaptive equipment where work requires
protective equipment and close visual and auditory attention to
- Movement around the building will be necessary to monitor
personnel, the condition of facilities and equipment, and response
to emergent situations and events.
- Moderate physical effort required to physically restrain
patients, respond to emergencies on upper floors without the use of
an elevator, assist in patient evacuations, and respond to other
emergency and non-emergency situations. Working Conditions: On a
regular basis this position will be required to:
- Routinely change work areas on client property via foot or
vehicle during all environmental conditions.
- Interact with patients, employees, visitors, physicians, and
the general public during normal and emotionally charged
- Work both independently and in team situations.
- Defuse potentially violent situations with verbal or physical
- Assist in restraining patients in support of clinical
- Work multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Work with material which may be hazardous.
- Must have ability to cope well under emergency and stressful
situations while making sound decisions and recommendations to
physicians, nursing and professional staff relative to issues
involving safety and security. Unavoidable Hazards: Unavoidable
hazards of the position are the regular exposure to patients and
visitors with potentially infectious diseases, blood and body
fluids. Other hazards include the potential for exposure to smoke,
hazardous chemicals, inclement weather and driving conditions,
sharp instruments, verbal abuse, and physical violence. Closing In
the Security Industry, a Professional Security Officer may be
required to possess a guard card/license depending on the state in
which they are employed. The guard card/license is paid for by the
owner of the license and becomes the property of that individual.
EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability Employer is an Equal
Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce.
Employer will provide qualified individuals with reasonable
accommodations pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act
and/or any other applicable state or local laws. We are committed
to hiring veterans and reservists. Since 2013, we have hired over
25,000 heroes. *SAJ *CB-SE *GD-SE Requisition ID 274
Keywords: Allied Universal, Columbia , Hospital Armed Security Officer Downtown Columbia, SC, Healthcare , Columbia, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!