Medical Lab Technician III
Company: Lexington Medical Center
Location: West Columbia
Posted on: June 24, 2022
LMC Chapin - Urgent Care PRN Regular Day Shift Voted one of
South Carolina's "Best Places to Work" for 2019, the Lexington
Medical Center Physician Network includes more than 450 physicians
and advanced practice providers at 75 locations across the
Midlands. From general medicine and orthopedics to oncology and
neurosurgery, these dedicated physicians, specialists and surgeons
combine the highest quality care with advanced medicine and
state-of-the-art technology to help patients achieve the best
possible outcomes. As the third largest employer in the Midlands,
we invite you to be a part of our ongoing success and join our LMC
Family. Job Summary The Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT)
provides laboratory services for both inpatient and outpatient
populations. The MLT ensures excellent quality in laboratory
testing and accurate forms of analysis that improve patient
outcomes. Performs routine testing that ensures fast, precise
information for patient diagnosis and treatment. All
responsibilities are carried out in accordance with the mission,
vision, and strategic imperatives of Lexington Medical Center.
Minimum Qualifications * Minimum Education: Associate's Degree from
a college/university accredited by a recognized regional or
national accreditation agency
* Minimum Years of Experience: 3 Years of clinical laboratory
experience as a certified MLT(ASCP)
* Substitutable Education & Experience: None
* Required Certifications/Licensure: Successful completion of a
NAACLS accredited MLT program; Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT)
Certification from the American Society of Clinical Pathologist
(ASCP) Board of Certification (BOC) or an equivalent state or
* Required Training: None Essential Functions * The Medical
Laboratory Technician performs the following:
* Manual laboratory testing (no or little automation).
* Automated laboratory testing (requiring instrumentation to
* Collection of specimens: May be required to perform venipuncture
to include capillary punctures for blood specimens from patients of
various ages requiring developmentally appropriate techniques. *
Performs established laboratory testing according to accreditation
requirements and LMC Laboratory established procedures.
* Exhibits the knowledge and expertise in the following job
* Evaluate specimen preparation and handling for test analysis.
* Select, perform, evaluate, and monitor the performance of test
procedures using manual and /or instrumental techniques.
* Conduct quality control procedures on equipment and reagents and
reviews and interpret results for acceptability. Perform basic
troubleshooting to correct problems.
* Perform independently all testing assigned and multi-task as
* Meet and exceed productivity in laboratory testing; promote
teamwork among coworkers.
* Recognize and react to indicators of malfunctions; locates and
implement corrections; verify correct instrument operation using
protocols and quality control checks.
* Recognize normal and abnormal values; evaluate and correlate data
with other test results/diagnosis and report results and problems
to appropriate individuals as necessary.
* Maintain instruments to include daily, weekly, and periodic
maintenance as assigned.
* Identify the causes of common problems and make simple repairs;
perform troubleshooting of selected equipment, communicate with
service, and relay appropriate information.
* Maintain proper records for quality control reports, etc.; review
such documents as abnormal results, overdue logs/pending logs and
take appropriate action.
* Perform correct notification of abnormal results per policy.
* Perform additional assignments independently as assigned by the
* Train new employees/students as assigned.
* Achieve and maintain competency for waived, moderate and
potentially selected high complexity testing. Competency is
evaluated semi-annually the first year of hire and annually
thereafter. * Works with others (e.g. coworkers, nurses and
physicians and other healthcare workers, laboratory and hospital
administration, patients and families) in a teamwork approach that
promotes/encourages each person's contributions toward achieving
* Informs other personnel of circumstances that may affect the
quality of testing and takes the responsibility to initiate
* Notifies appropriate personnel of critical test results or
results that are deemed "alert" values.
* If interpretation or explanation of test results is sought, the
MLT takes the responsibility that the appropriate information is
given or referred to a supervisor/pathologist.
* Courteous and accurate in all communications and follows LMC
confidentiality policies. Duties & Responsibilities * Demonstrates
the ability to facilitate learning for coworkers, students, and
other members of the health care team and community. This could
include both formal and informal facilitation of learning.
* Maintains established continuing education requirements for
national certification and for MLT LMC level requirements.
* Possesses sensitivity to recognize, appreciate, and incorporate
differences into the provision of care. Differences may include,
but are limited to, cultural differences, spiritual beliefs,
gender, race, ethnicity, lifestyle, socioeconomic status, age and
* Demonstrates clinical reasoning and informed experiential
knowledge and skill.
* Exhibit initiative and leadership skills in problems solving and
* Performs all other duties as assigned. We are committed to
offering quality, cost-effective benefits choices for our employees
and their families: Day ONE medical, dental and life insurance
benefits * Health care and dependent care flexible spending
* Employees are eligible for enrollment into the 403(b) match plan
day one. LHI matches dollar for dollar up to 6%.
* Employer paid life insurance - equal to 1x salary
* Employee may elect supplemental life insurance with low cost
premiums up to 3x salary
* Adoption assistance
* LHI provides its full-time employees employer paid short-term
disability and long-term disability coverage after 90 days of
* Tuition reimbursement
* Student loan forgiveness Equal Opportunity Employer It is the
policy of LMC to provide equal opportunity of employment for all
individuals, and to remain compliant with applicable state and
federal laws and regulations. LMC strives to provide a
discrimination-free environment, and to recruit, select, on-board,
and employ all employees without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, age, disability, national origin, veteran status, or
pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, including but
not limited to, lactation. LMC endeavors to upgrade and promote
employees from within the hospital where possible and consistent
with the employee's desires and abilities and the hospital's needs.
Nearest Major Market: Columbia Nearest Secondary Market: South
Keywords: Lexington Medical Center, Columbia , Medical Lab Technician III, Healthcare , West Columbia, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!