Senior Electrical Product Engineer (E3)
Company: Harsco Rail
Location: West Columbia
Posted on: August 6, 2022
Harsco is recognized for technical leadership and worldwide
experience in virtually all major aspects of railway track
maintenance. We enable railroads to operate at peak efficiency over
smooth, precisely aligned track that increases railway safety while
reducing fuel consumption and other key operating costs. Our broad
array of equipment and services support every type of railway
operator, from major national and international railway systems, to
short lines and high-speed urban transit networks.
Lead projects from concept through delivery and subsequent customer
support. Design, document and support standard and custom rail
service equipment, functional systems, and production support for a
variety of products. The Electrical Product Engineer will work with
wide variety of product types while continuing to develop machine
and system designs.
- Create electrical documentation including schematics, control
box assemblies, wiring charts, cable charts, machine interconnects
and component level documentation.
- Review design specifications to establish customer
requirements, interact with product management and the customer as
- Create and verify engineering calculations
- Check and approve designs and drawings
- Provide technical mentorship and guidance to junior Engineers,
Drafters and internal customers
- Support system integration into the vehicle.
- Offer innovative solutions to technically complex
- Create and maintain bill of materials.
- Review and implement change requests.
- Capture and account for customer or field issues.
- Offer innovative solutions for cost reductions, improved
reliability, quality issues, safety issues, etc.
- Drive Continuous Improvement and Standardization
- Check and approve applicable sections of operations manuals,
maintenance manuals and parts books
- Provide manufacturing and commissioning Support
- Design for Manufacturing and Assembly
- Specify components
- Meet deadlines to ensure projects are completed within
acceptable time and cost targets.
- Provide periodic status updates on projects through reports,
presentations and design reviews.
- May travel to customer locations, globally, to support product
in field applications.
- Perform other reasonably related tasks as assigned by
Basic Required Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or Electrical
- 12+ years of heavy equipment product engineering
- Experience with 3D CAD software
- 10+ years of electrical CAD software experience
- Experience with PLM & MRP software
- Experience in machine design of mobile equipment
- Experience designing and laying out electrical control
- Experience with drafting standards and part creation
- Experience designing DC electrical schematics
- Experience with DC power distribution & design along with
distributed I/O network design
- Experience with engine wiring, CAN networks and J1939
- Work experience designing AC electrical schematics
- Experience with AC motors, drives, & starters
- Experience with AC generator & power distribution
Education or Experience
- Knowledge of manufacturing principles and processes
- Knowledge of Lean / Six Sigma
- Experience with PCB Schematic & layout design
- Experience with Solid Edge CAD software (modelling and
- Experience with E3 Electrical CAD software (e.g. Schema, Panel,
- Experience with Teamcenter & LN software.
- Experience of machine design of railroad-specific
- Experience writing Visual Basic code
- Ability to communicate fluently in English, both verbal and
- The ability to effectively present information and respond to
questions from other departments
- Ability to work effectively in a matrix organization, across
functions and with all levels of the organization
- Ability to communicate project status updates in a team
- The ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical data
- Computer skills: Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Microsoft
- Experience using a multi-meter and other electrical
- Experience trouble shooting an electrical problem
- Have hands on abilities to fix Harsco's products
- Experience writing PLC, C, or C++ software
- Knowledge of NEC, British, and DIN standards
- Knowledge of EMC and IEC testing standards
- Ability to incorporate and manage multiple formats into the
complete product definition: vendor manuals, vendor data sheets,
customer specifications, Harsco Rail specifications, 2D drawings,
3D models, mark-ups, verbal instructions, etc.
- The ability to predictably and regularly attend work.
- The ability to deal politely and professionally with customers
- The ability to manage several tasks at once
- The ability to follow direction or instruction
- The ability to use a computer to communicate, create, and
- The willingness and ability to travel domestically and
internationally via commercial airline and automobile up to 20% of
- The ability to effectively plan, organize and complete work
with minimal supervision
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees
and applicants for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or
genetics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of
employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion,
termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence,
compensation and training.
If you have a difficulty applying for any job posted on Harsco
Rail's website because a disability prevents you from using the
online system, Harsco Rail offers the following alternate
application procedure: Contact Brittany Brown, HR Generalist, at
803-822-7440 and Harsco Rail will arrange for an alternate method
of applying and will consider your application together with all
other applications received for the job. Please call only for
disability application.All your information will be kept
confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Keywords: Harsco Rail, Columbia , Senior Electrical Product Engineer (E3), Engineering , West Columbia, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!