Company: City of Columbia, MO
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Perform a variety of highly advanced engineering technical
support tasks for the design, inspection, maintenance and record
keeping related to streets, intersections, storm sewers, sanitary
sewers, water mains, erosion control, land disturbance, electric
utility distribution, street lighting system design work, and/or
Essential Job Functions
- Draft diagrams, detail drawings, and construction plans for
engineering improvement projects under the direction of an
- Inspect methods and materials used by contractors to construct
a variety of commercial and residential construction and
improvement projects; ensure conformity with plans and
- Read and mark plans based on field observations and
measurements to ensure accuracy of plans and acquire data for the
design of projects.
- Search documentation, deeds, plats, and easements as well as
old plans, reports, ordinances, and council documentation for
information pertaining to the design and construction of
- Update utility maps, street number systems maps, plats,
subdivisions, and other engineering records based on as-builts,
survey notes, and other information.
- Provide information to engineers, contractors, developers,
utility company personnel, and others to ensure adherence to proper
standards, regulations, and codes.
- Assist in developing asset management tools and records
management process for all sanitary and storm water projects.
- Inspect land disturbance and erosion control issues at
construction sites to ensure compliance with applicable codes,
ordinances, and regulations.
Ancillary Job Functions
- Assist property owners, utility companies, contractors, and
other citizens with project-related questions and issues.
- Coordinate projects with utility representatives and assist in
determining utility relocation needs.
- Conduct engineering surveys or other field work as needed.
- May train and assist Operations division with technical issues
related to GIS.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience - An equivalent combination of education,
training and experience will be considered
- High school diploma or equivalent required; associate degree in
Engineering Technology, Construction, surveying, or related field
- Minimum of four years relevant experience.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities which may be representative, but
not all-inclusive of those commonly associated with this position
- Knowledge of basic surveying, construction, and engineering
principles, practices, and methods.
- Knowledge of drafting and some knowledge of construction
standards and specifications.
- Considerable knowledge of geometry and basic mathematical
calculations used in engineering drawing and drafting.
- Considerable knowledge of maps, deeds, plats, and plans.
- Ability to proficiently use personal computer and related
software, such as Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD drafting
software, Civil 3D engineering software, and ArcGIS mapping
- Ability to maintain a variety of technical records and adapt
records systems for computerization.
- Ability to read and create engineering drawings, plans, maps,
and other records.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment when ensuring
compliance with relevant land disturbance and utility construction
codes and legal regulations.
- Ability to learn the principles of both PVC and ductile iron
water main construction standards and inspection methods and
techniques, including AWWA standards and Missouri Department of
Natural Resources regulations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with other employees and the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in
Work Environment - Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly
associated with the performance of the functions of this job
- May be exposed to wet/humid conditions, inclement outdoor
weather, vibration, airborne particles/fumes, loud noise levels, or
risk of electrical shock.
- May be required to work in confined spaces, hazardous traffic
conditions, or high/dangerous places.
Physical Abilities that are commonly associated with the
performance of the functions of this job. The physical demands
described below are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform essential functions
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to feel attributes of objects, grasp, push, stand,
walk, drive, reach with hands/arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl,
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist, hand and/or finger
movement to type and work on computer.
- Must have clarity of vision at 20 inches or less,
three-dimensional vision, precise hand-eye coordination, and
ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- May be required to lift 150 or more pounds.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
Keywords: City of Columbia, MO, Columbia , Engineering Technician, Engineering , Columbia, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!